Friday, April 12, 2013

Get Him to the Gym!

CCF's City Boy of the month, John Tashjian, shares his thoughts on fitness & maintaining a healthy lifestyle while leading a hectic lifestyle as a Realtor. 

First off I’d like to thank City Chicks Fitness for letting me write this article for their blog.  I don’t claim to be an expert in any kind of fitness talk, but I'm a regular working man who wants to be fit, so I have enough experience to give my opinion about it!

One of John's workouts: chopping wood
So here is a bit about me. I’m 29 years old and work full time as a Realtor in Toronto. My day usually starts around 6:30 am when I wake up and go to my condo gym to get some early morning exercise. Although I’m by no means a “morning person” I find that after work I like to come home, eat then watch TV until I go to sleep. I’m also under the impression (not sure why…) that waking up early and doing my exercise will set me up for a productive and energetic day. After reading a recent City Chicks post about finding motivation and timing workouts to suit your lifestyle, I may have to reconsider my morning routine. It has definitely been on/off lately as I find going to the gym in the morning a difficult endeavor. But is this because I’m not suited to it? Or is it just a consequence of my general laziness when it comes to exercise?  

I definitely feel better when I’m working out regularly. I feel less tired, eat better, and put more positive energy into my work. Slacking off makes me feel sluggish and depressed, with a higher probability of McDonald's for lunch! Just thinking of that Big Mac combo makes me want to… Sorry I’m getting off topic.

I also procrastinate when I’m slacking off. I’ll tell myself “Tomorrow will be the day when I start a regular routine and never stray off the path again”. But days turn into weeks and next thing I know I’m depressed and eating McDonald's again. Fat Bastard had a great line in Austin Powers: “I eat because I’m unhappy, and I’m unhappy because I eat”. There are no truer words than these.

I think having a routine is the key. It seems robotic, but being repetitive and sticking to a plan is better than doing something when you feel like it. I never feel like working out but I know it’s important and that I should get it done. So with that in mind, and with summer around the corner, I will finish this off with the hope that I take my own advice and hit the gym more regularly. Thanks for reading!

John exercising the idea that workouts can take place anywhere - pushing a tractor on a farm

John Tashjian
Realty Executives
www.johntashjian.com

Interested in being featured as the next CCF city boy or girl of the month? E-mail us at citychicksfitness@gmail.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment