Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Our Favourite (Free!!) Fitness Apps

Hey guys! There's nothing I love more than hearing birds chirping on a warm spring day while sipping my morning coffee...ahhh. How are you spending this marvelous spring day?

I have a confession to make. I am now officially, an Apple product lover. Anyone who knows me can vouch that I've always been a Blackberry & BBM fan. Yes, I finally hopped on the iPhone bandwagon (years too late) and I have to admit, I'm blown away. Seriously. I knew I was missing out on lots, but not this much: retina display, Siri texting for me, its intuitive design...the list goes on for this beautiful creation. Sorry Blackberry, we had a good run!


Did I mention apps? Don't even get me started. I dove headfirst into the magical world of iPhone apps and haven't looked back since. More importantly, I now have access to tons of free fitness apps! We've gotten tons of questions about our favourite fitness & nutrition apps. Here are some of them:

Sworkit

I first heard about this app from one of our city boys. And of course, we just had to test it out. This app lets you customize your workout based on duration and type of activity: strength training, yoga, or cardio. For example, I've used it for a 20 minute upper body strength training session followed by a 15 minute ab routine. The app compiles a bunch of exercises, works out the nitty-gritty details like number of sets/reps, and produces an easy-to-follow routine. All you have to do is hit Start and get sweatin! The best part is if you don't know how to do the moves, there's a button that links you to a video of the trainer demonstrating the move. Easy right? Available for iPhone and Android.


Seconds

Anyone who's serious about interval training & HIIT knows it's absolutely vital to have an interval timer. Well, here's an app for you that does just that. Available for iPhone.


Get a head start training for your races this year with this great running app by Nike. It uses your phone's GPS to map your runs, track distance, time, and calories burned. Available for iPhone and Android.

The great thing about the newer iPhones and iPods is that they come pre-loaded with Nike+iPod so that you can sync your music to your workouts and also track how many calories you've burned. *Nike+Running is a separate app specifically for running.




Not only is keeping track of your workouts important, but also maintaining your diet and daily calorie intake. This app has been around for awhile and for a very good reason. Gone are the days of jotting down each food item after each meal, looking up caloric values, adding them up yourself, then subtracting the calories you burned from exercise (did anybody else do that?). My Fitness Pal does it all for you! Available for iPhone, Android, Blackberry.



First off, I love this app. Another Nike app makes the list, but for a very good reason! Ever have those days when you're too lazy to put together a routine or just want a routine to follow? The NTC app does just that. Just pick what you're in the mood for: Get Lean, Get Toned, Get Strong, Get Focused and leave the rest up to the app. It's just like having a personal trainer right in your pocket. Available for iPhone.



This is one of our favourite social fitness apps. This sports tracker lets you log the activities you're doing, including cycling, pilates, swimming, & jogging while sharing your activity with your friends. Endomondo also comes up with challenges for its community, like the Bikini Season Challenge, where the winner with the best progress takes home some awesome swag! Available for iPhone, Blackberry, Android.


These apps are tried & true, free, and completely foolproof. There's no excuse for you not to be working out! 

What are your favourite mobile apps? Don't forget to find us on Instagram @citychicksfitness.

Have a super day :)

xoxo,

V&L

No comments:

Post a Comment