Friday, April 26, 2013

"Help! I'm bored with my workouts"

Hey guys, hope your day is going well :)

If you're reading this post, then we're most likely in the same boat. You've reached a point in your exercise life where everything is becoming routine (dare I say boring?), what's worked before isn't working anymore, and in general, you've lost a great deal of enthusiasm for working out. I feel ya.

Not to worry, we all get stuck in a rut once in awhile. It's normal! Life gets in the way sometimes and there are just other things we'd rather be doing. Don't beat yourself up over it - the important thing is if you've fallen off the bandwagon, just get your ass back on it!

Doing the same routine over & over may make you feel like you did jack squat

The good news is, the fitness world is alway evolving & there are tons of fun new ways to keep active. Whenever I feel like my routine has become too routine, here are some things that help me get back into it:

Switch it up - We've said it before, and we'll say it again: switch up your routine. Last year around this time, I was cardio-crazy: 6 days a week of cardio, pilates/yoga/strength training on 4 days of the week. I felt super-charged and motivated! Fast-forward one year and the same routine doesn't work for me anymore. I went back to yoga last night for the first time in a few months and my body didn't feel rejuvenated the way this class used to make me feel. Solutions? I modified my cardio routine (alternating my cardio days with medium-pace jogging for endurance or short bursts of speed + walking briskly at a 11% incline). I also got heavier weights for my dumbbell routines, while throwing in the occasional machine strength training & resistance band workout for muscle confusion. Check-in with your body the next day and see how you feel. Are you sore? You better be! Me & V will go for group fitness classes once in awhile, but realistically, it does get tough finding classes that will fit into our work schedules.

Be aware & flexible. It's easy to hop on the treadmill or elliptical and mindlessly pound your feet away. If it's a routine that you've done over and over for the past little while, ask yourself what you're trying to accomplish. Do you really need 60 minutes of cardio? Would you achieve the same results within 20 minutes with another routine? If your main goal is to shave off the calories, look up ways to alter your treadmill/elliptical session as a HIIT routine. If it's endurance, then change your workout accordingly. As yogis say, be mindful of your body. Listen to your body and your breathing - push further when you know you can and tone it down on the days that you can't.

Set long-term goals. Why are you committed to an active lifestyle? Well for starters, I'd like to be able to get to the top of the stairs without breathing heavily..no joke ;) In all seriousness, I want to be active now so that it becomes a habit for the rest of my life. I want to be able to run around, play, & go hiking with my (future) kids, teach them to be healthy & active, be able to run 3 miles without breaking a sweat when I'm 60, be a pro at yoga....and possibly picking up a fitness certification in something I love doing along the way. What about you? Start writing those goals down today!

Photo Source This will be me...one day!
Set short-term goals. These can be goals for the month, week, or even day. Things like "I will run at a faster speed today" or "I will drink more water this week." Go for a walk on your lunch break today and explore the neighbourhood. Learn to rollerblade (may be a long-term goal if you're a slow learner like me). Making minor changes or trying new activities will keep your workout from becoming mundane efforts!

Focus on other aspects of healthy living: Healthy living isn't just about fitness and exercise. Switch up the foods you eat, try out new recipes and smoothie combos. Don't be afraid to explore ethnic cuisines you've never tried before and learn about healthy spices & herbs that you can incorporate into your dishes. Sautée your veggies today instead of steaming them. Join new activities and events! Me & V are joining a softball league this summer and we're both noobs at softball..so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully we won't be disasters ;) We're also planning on Mud Hero in August! Anyone else going? We'd love to see you there!

Remember why you started your active living journey and keep going. What gets your butt to the gym everyday? We want to know!

Have a great weekend guys!

xoxo,

V&L

No comments:

Post a Comment