Friday, January 10, 2014

Why you shouldn't SH*T in your own backyard...

CCF's City Chick of the month, Gina, shares her passion for MMA and thoughts on living a healthy lifestyle while navigating the murky waters of the dating world. 

We all know that cardinal rule, don't date anyone at work!  It's something that I swear by but why didn't I think it also applied to the gym?  Silly me!  Now I love this class I go to 4-5 times a week, it makes me happy, makes me sweat buckets and I look forward to it every single day. The first time I tried this MMA style class, I instantly fell in love with it. Who knew that I would find something that completed me in so many ways. Yes I know it sounds cheesy but I love this class just as much as I love my cats!
Even my cats are into MMA! 
So when I started dating someone from the same gym and that also loved the class just as much as me, why wouldnt I be excited? This was another person that shared the same passion for this sport. I paid my membership upfront for the year not thinking twice about it, nothing was ever going to stop me from going... WRONG!  Wake up call!! DUH!  It was fun while it lasted, long talks about why we love this class, why it's an important part of our life and so on... I'm sure you get what I'm saying. After about 4 months of this 'honey moon' stage, things tapered off and things came to a halt. These reasons could make an Emmy winning movie, drama, drama and more drama. Changed phone numbers, calls to emergency, you get the picture.

I did what any normal person would do, I avoided going to this class.  Last thing I wanted to do is have a 'run-in'. AWKWARD! And just like that, I focused on going to my regular boring cardio equipment gym. Seriously, working out on a treadmill, stair climber and sometimes elliptical can be such a draaaaaggggg!  I hate every second of it and have you ever noticed how slow time goes by on them?  That 1 minute feels like 5 minutes. My regular gym even has a 'boxing studio', with this flimsy speed bag and a regular punching bag that I think is hung too high (I'm a tad bit short).  Soooooo not the same but I still attempted to trick myself in this faux environment. Not a day went by that I didn't think about the class I loved. I decided at that point to look at other gyms offering my favorite type of kickboxing class.
Here is what my regular gym has to offer...  Hmmm, okay?  Looks like the ring has been through a lot, no?

I ended up going into this one place, got there early and waited for the instructor to show up. And guess what, they didnt!! So I spoke to the owner of the gym and inquired into why. He of course appologized and said they were planning on firing the instructor. Apparently 'this guy' was a no show on a regular basis. Not very professional for this place! The owner then promised me the next day he would bring in someone specifically for me. I stayed, hammered the punching bag for 45 minutes and left, anticipating my return for the next day. One more sleep and I'll be able to have that real hardcore workout. YAY!  When I returned the following day, I was greeted with a sign on the door 'The gym will be closed for the rest of the week due to unforeseen circumstances'. Sigh! What does that even mean?!  It was only Tuesday!  So I scurried back home pretty annoyed.
This gym looked promising.  Great equipment and a cool looking MMA facility.  Too bad this gym has some sort of 'unforeseen circumstances'.

The following week I decided to check out another place. This school has an amazing reputation, so why not? The class was everything I could ask for but the price was not. I really really don't want to sign my life away to 10 million gyms and on top of that I also have a personal trainer at my regular gym.  So again, I was disappointed and instead of thinking about going back to my gym, I was wishing I won the lottery to afford my healthy lifestyle.
Great facility, a million awards but really, do I really have to add another monthly payment to my bills?  I need to start playing the lottery!
I let almost 2 months pass and finally knocked some sense into myself. Why would I let this affect my fitness goals? Why am I letting an awkward situation control the one thing I look forward to everyday? Stupid me!  So I did it, I went back to my home away from home, my sacred place, my tension easing class, my class that completes me through and through.  Not that it was easy, my first day back, I scoped the parking lot, peeked through the windows, held my breath and went in.  All I needed was that first going back experience. Wooohooo! Hip Hip Hooray!
Even the trunk of my car is dedicated to the sport!
My moral of the story... Keep it real with yourself and don't let a not so great experience ruin what you love doing. I still haven't had an awkward run-in and it's bound to happen sooner or later. But my love and passion for this class out weighs anything else.

I'll NEVER shit in my own backyard again!!!

 Oh hello my favorite place... I heart you!  This picture actually doesn't do it justice but you get my point!
If you're in the same boat I was in, here are some of my helpful tips on what to do if you run into your ex at the gym...

The first glance is always going to be the weirdest and that caught off guard facial expression. It's the, oh crap, you're here today look on your face.  The yikes, what was I thinking thoughts that flood in.

Why not try some of these tips...

1)  Ignore!  Just pretend you're looking at air. You see right through them, they aren't even standing there. Voila, they don't exist.

2)  Avoid any type of dramatic scene. There's really no point of letting yourself get all worked up over it.  It is what it is.  If they happen to approach you, you always have the choice on how you're going to react. For every action, there's a reaction. You can be polite if you want to be and kindly excuse yourself. You might want to try some of these sentences if the dreaded ex approaches...

'Ummm, do I know you?'  
This one may not always work but it sure sends the message loud and clear... I am pretending that I don't know you so I can have a normal workout.

'Oh you're still alive?'  
This one sounds harsh but it's kinda funny.  This tells them that they are dead to you... This may even generate a little chuckle, you know that awkward laugh.  Once you've said it, let a little sly smirk creep up on your lips and walk away.   Don't just walk, STRUT!  Own that strut!  Give yourself that extra yeah I know I'm hot walk and let your ass do its thing!  They know what they've been missing. Wink! Wink!

'I hope you've been well.  I'm not done my workout so please excuse me'  
This tells them that you're all business. That you're focusing on the task at hand and want to be left alone. And that you could care less that you're in the same vicinity as them.
Just remember that they DO NOT own that gym. You have the right and just as much reason to be there too!  If they make you feel any other way, get in contact with me... I'll take care of them for ya, MMA style!

Until next time...
G! xox

2 comments:

  1. Great Read Gina! POUND4POUND represent!!! for those looking for an activity to improve quality of life I recommend Muaythai Kick boxing!! you wil be a fan for life after the first class!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post. Thanks for sharing your horror story so that other girls don't make the same mistake. Boys come and go , but a great gym is hard to find :P

    ReplyDelete