Monday, April 1, 2013

CCF Bakes, Runs & Eats!

Happy Monday and first day of April! Hope everyone had an amazing Easter weekend and spent time with family and friends.

CCF had a very relaxing and productive long weekend. It started with some baking - Breakfast Fruit and Nut Cookies from Tosca Reno's Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook. I made some CCF modifications to the recipe and it turned out delicious. These cookies are very filling too because they are jam-packed with so much goodness: almonds, dried cranberries, ground flaxseed, raisons and oats! Plus, they are super healthy since they are made with whole wheat flour, brown sugar and no butter. If you have some time and are in the mood for some baking, I highly recommend these cookies.  
Breakfast Fruit and Nut Cookies with a CCF twist
Next up for the weekend was a 5k race! I took part in the Ajax Lake Front Fun Run on Easter Sunday. Registration fees for the race went towards The Canadian Immunodeficiency Society, (CI Society) which is a national registered charity providing patient support, education and research for a cure for Primary Immunodeficiency (PI). This organization is in affiliation with Sick Kids Hospital, Toronto. 
Lucky Number & Participation Medal
I registered for the race the day before and picked up my race kit which included a running tip sheet, my race number, some pins and a nature valley bar. I was all set and ready to go! I didn't make any changes to my diet that day and ate as I usually do. Some articles say that you should load up on carbs a day or two before a race, like a big bowl of pasta. I decided against it since it's hard to know how your body will react and that's the last thing you wanna worry about during a race. 

The next day I woke up at 7 am in anticipation of my race start time 8:45 am. For breakfast, I decided to keep it light with a slice of pumpernickel bread with almond butter and some coffee. I brought along a banana for post-race recovery, as well as some cookies I baked the night before - made a nice little treat! It was a little chilly so I bundled up with 4 layers! A tank, short sleeve and long sleeve top plus a hoodie! (Weather was calling for some rain). For bottoms, I wore my my new faves - Lululemon's Inspire Crops! It was perfect because I was able to stick my key and cell phone in the back zipper pocket and the front pocket held my iPod perfectly in place the whole race.  
Ajax Rotary Park race start line
Ajax Rotary Park beautiful view
There was a great buzz happening before the race. People were smiling, taking pictures, and warming up. Everyone looked great! It made me a little nervous but I quickly reminded myself why I was racing - I was doing it for myself and for fun! Running alongside the lake was beautiful and helped power my run. I completed the race in 29 minutes and 53 seconds! Post-run high felt amazing and it was such a great way to kick-start race season. I'm looking forward to more races this summer and beating my race time. Here are some of the races we are signing up for this year:
Post Race! 

May 2013

July 2013

September 2013

October 2013


CCF ended the long weekend by heading to Unionville! We celebrated Easter and had our YOLO meals with yummy apps, desserts, a few beers and lots of laughs. CCF likes to indulge too, it's all part of living a balanced life! It was the perfect ending to a great weekend!  

Hoppy Easter from CCF!
So, how did you spend your long weekend? What healthy activities did you make time for? Are you planning to run any races this year? Let us know! Have an amazing week :)

L&V, xo

6 comments:

  1. Wow, sounds like a busy weekend!

    I have made those same cookies myself and I found that peanut butter was a great addition to the recipe. Definitely worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, peanut butter sounds delicious! Great suggestion Dan, we will definitely try that next time. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. No problemo. I was also thinking nutella may be good for the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, another great suggestion Dan! Just be careful to read the label first - it turns out Nutella is made of 60% sugar and palm oil which can be unhealthy. If you crave Nutella, try a healthier alternative like making your own spread (lots of recipes online). Let us know if you make/find a recipe you like and check back with us for updates :)

      Delete
  3. The cookies look so yummy. I'll have to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They taste yummy too! Let us know how they turn out :)

      Delete