Tuesday, March 26, 2013

7 Healthy Changes to Make Today

Photo Credit
Hey city peeps! Happy Double Whammy Tuesday! You know the drill: do double the reps, go twice as hard or do double the workouts! Let's GO! 

Today's post is about simple healthy changes you can make right now that will bring you closer to your ideal weight and help you meet your fitness goals. L and I are always looking for small changes we can make daily to bring us closer to being our healthiest selves. Since we started our journey, we've made many adjustments to our regular routines that have given us HUGE results. So, we decided to put together a list of our top 7 healthy changes that have helped us see a BIG difference in our endurance, strength, skin, energy levels, waistlines and overall well-being. Read on for a list of simple habits you  can incorporate into your lifestyle today!

1. Drink Lemon Water (LW).

If you haven't already tried this combo, you are missing out! Lemon water rocks and is a great way to kick-start your day! Packed with vitamin C and potassium, there are so many amazing health benefits - speeds up your metabolism, a natural diuretic, makes your skin glow, eases bloating, and more! [read on for more health benefits]. Once we discovered this magical drink, it has become our morning ritual. Try it: mug of warm water + squeeze half a fresh lemon = voila! 

2. Switch from cream to milk.

If you're anything like me, you can't function without your morning caffeine fix. I love the stuff! Ask anyone that knows me, it's actually the way to my heart. I use to drink my coffee with 2 creams until I realized how much I was actually consuming in my 3 coffees a day. All that creamy goodness really adds up because it's very fattening! I made the switch to milk and can't imagine having cream again. Start with 2% and eventually work your way to fat-free milk. Little changes, big progress. 

3. Reduce your sugar intake.

Again, if you're a coffee addict or tea lover, it is time to cut out the sugar. Sad, I know. I use to take my coffee with 2 tablespoons of sugar and argued that it wouldn't taste the same without the sweetness! Of course, I was being dramatic. So, one day I did the math: 3 orders of coffee/day + 2 tbsp of sugar/each =  6 tbsp of sugar a day! That's 2,190 tbsp of sugar a year! Rude awakening! Slowly, I cut back by half and eventually no longer needed the stuff. Bonus, I can actually taste my coffee now. If you really need a sugar fix, add some fruit to your diet instead.
Photo Credit
4. Make your own dressing.

This is one of the best changes I've made this year. I started making my own dressing and it tastes better than the store bought variety. Although it does require a bit of prep work, it's totally worth it because you will save so many calories and grams of fat. Make yourself a bottle ahead of time to have on hand and use it for salads, veggies and anything else you wanna add some flavour to. My favourite go-to recipe: 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar + 1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp dijon mustard + chilli flakes.  Mix it all together with a spoon and pour it over your greens. Enjoy!

5. Carry a bottle of water with you everywhere.

We all know we should drink more water. We also know the health benefits are endless. So then why is it so hard to meet the recommended daily intake of 8 glasses? Is it because water is tasteless? Perhaps. The point is, we need H2O and lots of it! I wasn't getting enough of the stuff, so I started carrying it with me EVERYWHERE! I started sipping it throughout the day and ended up choosing it to quench my thirst more often that it eventually became a habit. Ask anyone that knows me and they can confirm, I always have a bottle of water with me. Benefits I've noticed: helps me stay full, keeps my skin clear and energizes me. All sources of water count too, so find other ways to get your daily dose like drinking a mug of lemon water in the morning counts!  

6. Brown bag it.

This is a big one. Prepare your meals ahead of time with real, healthy foods and skip on take-out. It's really hard to find healthy food options at fast food joints. Sure, there are 'healthier' options, but not quite the same as what you could make at home. Not only will you see a difference on the scale, but you will feel so much better during the 'afternoon slump' at the office. When I started bringing my lunch to work, I immediately noticed I was eating healthier and incorporating a variety of foods into my diet. Plus, I had more time to enjoy my meal and relax. There was no longer the need to rush off to buy food and scarf it down, leaving little time to digest. Added BONUS, I ended up saving money which is important for a chick living in an expensive city like Toronto (more $$$ in the pocket = more $$$ for shoes!). 

Photo Credit

7. Swap your regular breakfast cereal for a smoothie.

Ever since I discovered this fast and delicious meal, I can't live without it! It is super healthy and loaded with tons of nutrients to keep you going right until lunch. It has more health benefits than your regular breakfast meal, it's very filling and it saves you time during the early morning dash. Smoothies can be eaten at any time of the day too. Make it your go-to meal if you need a post-workout drink or pick-me-up mid afternoon. No prep work required. Get creative with all your fave fruits and veggies for a delicious surprise. So, ditch your boring cereal and breakfast sandwich for an energizing and refreshing smoothie already! My "good morning" smoothie: 1 cup water + 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder + 1/2 banana + strawberries + 1 tsp almond butter + 1 tbsp ground flaxseed. Add a handful of ice cubes and blend! 




We are all busy city peeps that don't have time to adopt brand new lifestyles, we gotta work with what we have. With a little tweaking of your regular day-to-day routine you will be down another pant size in no time. So, what are you waiting for? Don't wait, make these healthy changes TODAY!

What healthy swaps, substitutes or changes have YOU made that really worked? Tell us 'cuz we wanna hear all about it :)

Enjoy the rest of your week!

L&V, xoxo

2 comments:

  1. My mom told me about lemon water a while ago and I forgot all about it and how good it is. Thanks for reminding guys! I poured myself a big glass after today's workout :)

    I'm also guilty of not having enough water during the day. Gotta improve on that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon water is great post-workout, great choice! Try to sneak in water when you can and eventually it will become a habit :) Check back with us anytime!

      Delete