Thursday, March 14, 2013

Stop Sabotaging My Fitness Goals!

Photo Credit
Happy Thursday city peeps! We are more than halfway through the week, hooray! I hope everyone stays focused and strong until TGIF, beastmode style!

This post is inspired by my recent experience with people that sabotage instead of support my healthy lifestyle. At first, I didn't realize what was happening; I was skipping workouts and having cheat meals more than once a week. I wasn't meeting my fitness goals and it didn't feel right. What was happening? It wasn't like me at all. I started to take notice and realized I was being sabotaged! The saboteur turned out to be a master manipulator - it wasn't their first time - and loved to prey on my vulnerability. They knew I was tired after a long day of work and that I was having a sugar craving. Pure evil! I didn't stand a chance. In retrospect, it's easy to see how I succumbed to the negative pull of peer pressure. In a moment of weakness, my healthy efforts were seriously derailed.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of succeeding are greatly reduced when the people around you are not supportive. Most of the time, saboteurs don't realize they are chipping away at your willpower and thwarting your healthy habits. They have different goals; exercising and eating clean is not on their list of priorities. For me, I try to eat clean and exercise on a regular basis. I'm not being freakish about it - I have rest days and cheat meals, plus I tweak my schedule for special occasions. I shouldn't have to defend my choices or be made to feel guilty. Would you question someone that spent time each day drawing? Writing? Playing their favourite sport? I don't think so. The truth is, some people just don't understand because they've never had to work at staying at a healthy weight and don't realize how far you've come. Yes, maybe I do look fine but if I continue to ditch my sweat sesh in order to indulge my sweet tooth, I'm pretty sure I won't be looking so fine sooner or later.
Photo Credit
So, in order to stay strong when negative peer pressure is in full swing, CCF has created a list to help you identify sabotaging behaviour. Listen to what they say for clues, stop the saboteur before buckling under pressure and never be a victim again! You will be amazed how you are able to control your impulses and find the strength to withstand the next temptation. See below.

CCF's Guide to Spotting A Saboteur
Classic examples of sabotaging behaviour! Remember, listen carefully for unsupportive words in the things they say:

1. You look fine! I bet if I surveyed everyone at the gym, they would agree you don't need to workout.

2. I don't understand why you need to workout all the time? 

3. Instead of working out today, wanna go eat?

4. Great workout! Now, let's go eat. There is a really great greasy spoon joint close by. 

5.  Come on, just skip this workout this one time. We can workout tomorrow, okay?

6. Geez, one slice of pizza is not going to kill you. You plan on working out anyways. 

7. You don't have to eat. Just sit and watch me eat mozzarella sticks, fries and a double bacon cheeseburger. Mmm, I wonder what's on their dessert menu. (Can you say Temptation Island!)

8. Are you working out tonight? Do you want to watch a movie and eat popcorn instead?

9. Do you have to workout (pouty face)? Can't we just hang out instead? 

10. You always take forever at the gym. Hurry up so we can watch a movie and eat popcorn.
Now that you can recognize a saboteur, it's time to surround yourself with positive people that exhibit behaviours you want to develop. It helps when your friends share similar goals. Do a quick environmental scan - can you identify someone that might be hindering your progress? If you do, maybe it's time to confront them or make some changes to your circle of friends. I'm lucky that L shares similar goals to mine. She is really great at keeping me on track because she supports and pushes me when my willpower is low. She comes up with fun activities we can try, plus she  has great discipline and commitment to fitness so that pushes me to do the same. Remember, when you try to get out of working out by saying you're too tired or hungry or don't feel like it, a good gym buddy/friend will tell you to suck it up and remind you of your fitness goals; a bad gym partner/friend will respond "let's go eat".  

So, to all the saboteurs, ruiners, negative people, and unsupportive pals: it's time to jump off the hate train already and show some love! 'Nuff said!
Photo Credit
Do you have stories of people who tried to sabotage your healthy efforts? Have examples of sabotaging behaviour we missed? Let us know, we wanna hear about it!

With love, L&V

4 comments:

  1. Heya, great post!
    I've been 'cleaning up' my eating for a little over a month now and I've definitely had times when my boyfriend feels less than supportive of me. I can understand- we used to eat whatever together, he loved that I was the kind of girl who wasn't afraid of eating a whole pizza, and would even put cheeseballs on top of it.. yea, pretty gross.
    Now we didn't always eat like slobs, but every now and again I can tell that he's not loving the food I'm making and says things like "you're so healthy now!" -but in a tone that sounds judgmental more than anything and makes me feel bad.
    Of course he also compliments me on my progress (with working out etc) but sometimes I just feel so guilty for eating healthy!
    But you know, we love each other and he's not someone I'm gonna cut out so he just has to adjust and I have to be patient :)

    It was nice to be able to vent here! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Your post reminded me of my sister, she was in a long term relationship for 5 years and the exact same thing happened to her. She made the choice to change her eating and commit to beastmoding at the gym. Her boyfriend after a few weeks decided to jump on the bandwagon and after 2 weeks fell off. He would make the same kind of comments your bf makes. It's not easy especially when you want the person important to you to be supportive. The key to moving past this is having a straight up conversation and just be honest. That's what she did and even though her bf needed to adjust, he eventually did and made it a point to keep her on track. Communication is the key here, I'm 110% sure he doesn't realize he's not being supportive, so its just a matter of saying, "Hey, you're not complaining how good my a$$ looks in my skinny jeans now!"

      Thanks for stopping by! Feel free to vent and share with us anytime :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ladies,

    I don't have a particular story I want to share (although I've been surrounded by my fair share of saboteurs and haters) but I wanted to say how much I appreciate reading this supportive post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this post! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete