Monday, February 11, 2013

Motivation Mondays: Resolution Check-In

Source
Hi friends! Happy Motivation Monday! Let's start the week strong and inspired by reviewing our accomplishments thus far and goals for ourselves. It wasn't too long ago we all made New Years resolutions to cut sugar from our diets, eat more greens and exercise AT LEAST 4 times a week. How are your resolutions coming along? I know it's easy to fall off the wagon but let's not forget to get back on!

For those of you that have abandoned your resolutions and vow to do it right next year, you're not alone! According to a 3 year study conducted by Gold's Gym, February 7th has been dubbed as the 'fitness cliff' -  the day most resolutions are ditched and unhealthy habits are embraced with familiarity and comfort [source]. Most people give up on resolutions for one reason or another. Let's face it, change is hard! But with the right amount of work and effort success can be yours!

When we begin to lose sight of our goals, I think it's important to remind ourselves the reasons we made those resolutions in the first place. For L and I, our decision to 'eat clean, train dirty' was not easy to do! We are constantly reminding ourselves how far we've come and why it's important to stick at it. At the beginning, it felt like all my efforts were going unnoticed - why can't I see results yet? Is this even working? I'm not losing weight! It takes time, patience and trust. We are logical beings and know that expecting to see results in 2 days is cray!  But we expect it and give up when results are not instant. But once you start noticing a difference (and you will) that will motivate you to keep going. I remind myself that I can run longer without running out of breath as quickly and I can do full push-ups (no more girly ones!). Of course, some days are easier than others. There are definitely some days that I have to drag myself to the gym, internally kicking and screaming. Although I struggle to get myself there, I never regret it and that feeling is priceless. It gets easier and most days I actually look forward to my workout. BUT, sometimes I give in and let myself take a rest day without the guilt! That's part of the whole 'work-life-exercise balance' that is important if I want this to be successful. Just be careful that your rest day does not turn into a rest week or even rest month!

Source
With that said, I'd like to share with you some tips that have helped us stay committed to our goal of clean eating and regular exercise:
Source
  • Make a Plan! My favourite quote says it best: By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail - Benjamin Franklin. This is very true when it comes to healthy eating and exercise goals. I determine what my workout schedule is for the week, including times as well as what my meals will be. Having everything planned out mentally prepares you for the task and it leaves out the guess work. How many times have you been at the gym thinking, hmm now what should I do?
  • Keep Going!  There will be days when working out will be easy and other days not so much. The most important thing is to keep going! Whether you decide to forgo your workout or get discouraged that you can't see a physical difference or that your running speed has not improved, you must keep going! Whether you can see it or not, you are changing. Trust that. 
  • Get Focused! You have come so far and made great progress, so focus on the good! There will always be distractions around you that will take your focus from what needs to be done. For example, happy hour, birthdays, vacations, work parties, all the machines being used at the gym, bad weather, and the list goes on! Review all the reasons you vowed to exercise in the first place - was it to lose weight? Gain confidence? Train for a race? Fit into your 'skinny' jeans? Remind yourself what needs to be done in order to achieve your goals and do it. It's as simple as that. Discipline is doing what needs to be done even when you don't want to. So shut up and squat already!
  • Buddy Up! Find someone with similar health goals to help you stay motivated and keep you on track. There have been times I wanted to quit or felt discouraged, but L wouldn't let me give up and reminded me how far I've come. Find someone that motivates, inspires and supports you. Someone you know you can count on to tell you, 'you can do it' when you feel like you can't. Things are so much easier when you have someone to share your challenges, accomplishments and provide much needed support.
  • Find Something You Really Love! Let's face it, you are not going to stick to a fitness regime that involves exercises you don't enjoy doing. I asked my sister, "what keeps you motivated to do muay thai?" Her answer, "I have a passion for it! I don't feel like I'm working out!". For me, I love running! The feeling I get after a great run always brings me back for more (aka 'runner's high'). And for L, she just can't live without pilates & yoga to make her feel rejuvenated! Same holds true for healthy eating. Healthy food is not tasteless and consists of more than just salad! I love Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Cookbook. So many yummy healthy recipes I don't even realize I'm eating clean. 
  • Celebrate Your Success! Did you run longer on the treadmill today? Lift a heavier weight for your bicep curls? Drop 2 pant sizes? Share your successes with your friends and brag about it on Facebook. Go ahead and buy new running shoes, that cute lululemon tank top or sexy jogging shorts. You earned it! Flaunt it!
  • Indulge a Little! L and I always make time for a little indulgence! We know that never eating chocolate, pasta, fries or drinking beer and wine is impossible. Eliminating your favourite treats is unrealistic and sets you up for failure. So we let ourselves indulge sometimes, guilt free. You should too! To find out more ways to indulge, read our previous post and take our Love Yourself Challenge! 
  • CCF Playlist! I had to add it! Nothing beats a rockin' playlist that inspires you to bust a move and pushes you through a tough workout!
Well, did you survive the 'fitness cliff'? Amazing, keep up the great work! Weren't as successful as you'd hoped? No worries, it's Monday - the perfect day to revive those goals and start something great.  
Source
What keeps you motivated to stick with your fitness goals? What are your goals? Share your challenges, accomplishments and successes with us, we wanna hear all about it! Stay focused, inspired and motivated, enjoy your week!

With Love, L & V 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Vicky! Loretta! Full push-ups! Good for you!

    Yes, preparing is important but this is my weakest point. Because it takes time to plan ahead I tend to not plan ahead and play it by ear instead. Planning meals is especially hard, when you have to be a few different places in one day. Looks like you guys are very methodical with this. Good for you!

    Also, I think that it's easy to feel bad that you haven't stuck to your plan/resolution and you tend to give up. If I haven't worked out in a while I try to look at it this way: yes, I may have gotten weaker or less toned but if I start again right now then soon I will get the pleasure of feeling toned and stronger again. And I just cannot deny myself that pleasure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love the way you keep yourself motivated Irina, keep it up! Everyone has a different way of staying motivated, whether it be for being toned, staying active or maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The more we do it, the more of a habit it becomes...which is ultimately the goal. Thanks for the awesome comment! - V&L

      Delete