Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Gym Buddies, Yay or Nay?

This probably isn't the first time this has come up, but what do you guys think? Do you like having a buddy to go to the gym with or do you prefer gyming solo?

Personally, I love gyming alone. When I say gyming, I really mean hopping on the treadmill or elliptical, using the weight machines, etc. You have a set routine, you're pressed for time, and you wanna get in and get out. Fast. No one to hold you back or slow down your workout, you're 100% focused and ready to go. This is what I call true Beast Mode. Like this (ok not really, but come on it's so cute, I had to post it):


But I also love gyming with my girls. We have a ridiculous amount of fun, it's insane. Usually we'll treadmill together, then head over to our mats where V will lead a cray cray arm routine and I'll lead a core routine that we all do together. Over the summer, me & V will head over to the outdoor track and run 12 laps, then play some volleyball on the grass. We're always changing it up.
                                                      
(*Side story: We always see a group,"the acrobats" at the gym, who have an impeccably choreographed plyometric-HIIT-whole body focus- type of routine that I can't even explain..but they are ALWAYS in sync. If that doesn't motivate you, I don't know what will. Just watching them is a jaw-dropping experience.)

This just goes to show how motivated you can keep each other, especially when the activity involves some sort of routine you can all do at the same time. But beware: workouts with your buddies can also lead to:

---too much fun taking goofy photos at the gym. A lot of distraction. Or finding out that your workout pal is a drill sergeant and will work you to the bone!

Let's face it, gym equipment can be intimidating. Especially if you're working out alone. A lot of us will just stick to what's familiar and never try any other piece of equipment (specifically weight machines, those things are hazardous contraptions!). You'll probably be more inclined to try them out if you're with a workout buddy. Hey if you're gonna make a fool of yourself at the gym, you might as well do it together!

After all...

workout buddies
Or, if you're feeling gutsy, you can always ask another regular at the gym whether they could show you how to use it. People are always open to sharing their experiences and are usually happy to give you pointers. It's a win-win: it makes them feel good and you are learning something new. 



So what do you guys prefer? Having someone to spot you at the gym or flying solo? 

xoxo,
L

10 comments:

  1. Great tips V! Also that was quite the "workout" last night. :-P But seriously... I like how serious you are about being fit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you meet drill sergeant V?? good luck!!!! she'll whip u into shape :)

      Delete
  2. Super post! I loved reading it! Those are great stories too L! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points about distraction :) I usually don't like going to the gym at all due to the amount of stuff that you have to carry with you to make it a comfortable trip (shower supplies, etc.), but if I do go I prefer to go alone and just do my stuff. But you are right, it is more fun with a buddy, you enter the competitive mode and just push! That can be very motivating. Also, having laughs together makes it less of a daunting chore if you don't feel like working out that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right Irina! I think a lot of it also depends on your mood. I know that sometimes, especially after a long work day, I just wanna plug in my headphones; then it's just me, my music, and I'm just doin my own thing...other times, I wanna hang out with my buddies and talk about new fitness routines too :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the input guys! Keep 'em coming!

      Delete
  4. I like having a gym buddy to help me keep a gym time, since I seriously lack discipline : ) It's also nice to have a friend spot you (safety first!) and help you get those last few reps out. But I do think it's important to have balance and do some workouts alone, just you and your headphones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is key :) You're definitely right about keeping a gym time - meeting up with workout pals really pushes you to commit to it. Getting to the gym in the first place is just as hard as the workout itself! And absolutely, they push us through our last few reps and the last few mins on the treadmill..even if it ends up in a lil friendly competition ;)

      Thanks for the awesome feedback!! Keep the comments coming!

      Delete
  5. What a fun little read - great stories V & L, keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete